Monday, January 24, 2011

Distrito Federal- Trip to Mexico City!

This weekend we traveled to Mexico City, and I fell in love! My friend Claire and traveled with our Mexican friend Aldo (God bless him) to the city, where we met up with his Mexican friends. Don't worry, we were outnumbered by locals and completely safe.

On Saturday we traveled to Chapultepec, the largest city park in Latin America. It's very similar to Central Park, with a lake, markets, cool historic building, and a lot of green space. My favorite thing was the Castle- it used to be the home of the President but is now a historical museum. I've learned so much about Mexican history that it was very cool to see real artifacts and buildings.

Later we went to the Centro Histórico and saw the Cathedral, the Zócalo, the National Palace, the ruins of Templo Mayor, the giant Torre Latinoamericano, and of course the markets and the giant masses of people everywhere! Loved it!

At night we went to Plaza Loreto in the South to see a band called Quiero Club at a really cool bar/music venue. We got VIP seating because they asked us where we were from, and they were so excited that we came all the way from Canada (I just said Canada to make it easier... close enough, right?) to see them! We got to meet the bands and sit in a really cool area. The concert was greatttt.

Sunday we went to Bellas Artes to see the Art museum/palace. It was really neat, especially the architecture of the Palace itself. We ate lunch in the Casa de los Azulejos (House of Tiles is the translation), a huge old mansion that is covered in blue and white tiles. It was delicious. Afterwards, we spent hours in the Sunday market in the Centro.

(Forgive me for not having more pictures- I hate looking like a tourist! Wikipedia has better pictures anyway)

 




 P.S.- Sunday, on the subway, I met this girl wearing a Packers t-shirt! Needless to say, we talked and she told me that her whole family is Packer fans and they were all heading to watch the game together! How cool is that! And don't worry, I had someone updating me during the game and I caught the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment