Saturday, January 8, 2011

Adventures!

The University took us on trips this week, to see the city of Cholula (San Andres Cholula is the little city we're in) and Puebla (the bigger city). Both are incredible and the weather has been so perfect! Cholula has a really strong indigenous culture, so there is tons of color everywhere! Puebla is designed like a European city, so there is an awesome plaza (called Zócalos here) in the middle. 
I can't wait to travel (and shop) more! I spent the days with the international students which is super interesting because everyone speaks different languages. For a while I was with a girl from France, a girl from Canada, a girl from Australia and a guy from Mexico, so we had to translate everything 3 times! Very cool experience. 
We ate at a few different restaurants in the cities, and they were all good. The food interests me a lot, and I always bug the Mexicans I am hanging out with by asking them what every little thing on the menu is. Puebla is known for Mole Poblano, a kind of sauce made from chile and chocolate- it's pretty good! And the best news is that the food/water hasn't made me sick yet, so I plan to continue eating all semester :)


The view of Cholula from the top of the Pyramid (which is mostly just a hill, the majority of the pyramid is underground) 

Everything in Puebla is so nice and clean and fancy! 

 All of the buildings are colorful!

 A market in Puebla

Don't worry, we asked first! This is my friend from Canada- she speaks English, Spanish and French completely fluently! It's incredible.

 El Zócalo en Puebla- palm trees!

The cathedral in Puebla- they say it's gray because it was built by Europeans and they don't like color. Also, the big door in the middle was open for some reason when we went, and the door is special because it absolves everyone's sins as they walk through it. So now I am pardoned of my sins, without having to go to confession :)


 The view of the cathedral and zócalo from a rooftop cafe where we went! So fancy and cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment