Friday, January 14, 2011

Discoveries

think that blogs are supposed to be for sharing random thoughts one has had with people that don't care, so here goes. Here are some things that Mexico has figured out that the US still needs to work on (or I just have never experienced in the US, meaning we need more):

-Milk boxes: If you want an individual milk, it comes in a cute little box with a straw, none of the carton or bottle nonsense. And tastes so much better. Also, the milk is so pasteurized that it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Hello making packing lunches for kids easier and healthier.

-Toilet flushers: a lot of toilets here don't have the little flush lever on the back of the toilet- instead they have a foot pedal thing on the ground. Hello less germs. 

-Light switches: In my room, when I open my closet door, a little light turns on. Also, I can turn on the light by my bed with a switch by the door OR with a switch by my bed. Duh. 

-Solid dish soap: Maybe this exists in the US, but here they have this little container of semi-solid dishsoap, and all you do is get some on a sponge and it works really well. And smells good. 

-Bars: At a lot of bars, some bartenders circulate throughout the crowd to take orders and deliver drinks, rather than having everyone crowd the little bar and have to wait forever to order. How do they get through the crowd, you ask? They have whistles and flashlights. 

-Employees: In the parking lots of big stores, malls, and busy streets, there are people that work as... Parking directors? They tell you the next open spot, direct you when you can/can't pull out of your spot, help you parallel park, and help you find your car if you don't know where it is. You have to tip them, and I'm not sure who would want the job, but it sure helps drivers. Can you imagine how much easier Black Friday would be? 

And whoever told me I needed adaptors for my plug-ins lied. There are 3-prong plugs everywhere, and in super convenient places, unlike our houses and libraries. 
I'll add more when I discover them.

-Speedbumps: "topes" are EVERYWHERE! Every street has a speedbump every 10 feet, and if not, at least twice a block. They are huge and difficult to get over in a small car. I have been told that they have them to avoid having a lot of Sports cars on the streets, but who knows. Maybe they slow down, but it also just makes them buy bigger cars. Crazy.

Update:
In Mexico it is in style to put your kids on leashes. I took these creepy pictures we were in Chapultepec. Don't get me wrong, I agree that it makes a lot of sense, because there are kidnappings and dangerous people, but when there is a 11year old looking girl wearing a leash because it's cool, I don't quite agree. They sell them in a variety of colors and styles, and everyone has one. Every child from age 1-12 wears one. Jump on the bandwagon, United States.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment